Just because you have never noticed the buildup of dust, dirt and debris in your HVAC ducts, doesn’t mean it is not there.
Air duct systems are commonly used to circulate air throughout a household or business, but over time that very system can collect contaminants that are harmful to your health. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that indoor air can be up to 100 times more polluted than outdoor air, though many building materials like dust mite debris and pet dander can contribute to this buildup. If your employees are complaining of respiratory distress or if you notice diminished indoor air quality (IAQ), it may be time to get your system cleaned. In addition, cleaning your HVAC ducts will improve the overall energy efficiency and lower your monthly utility bills.
Below is a list of common signs that it is time to get your ducts cleaned:
● Your HVAC system has been running at peak performance for years yet you’re still receiving utility bills that are too high. You can clean your HVAC unit, but that alone will not save you money. You will need to focus on cleaning your ducts and coils, which is the third of the three P’s in energy efficiency: power, process and people.
● Dust buildup inside vents or around vents. This can indicate that there is a major build up of harmful contaminants inside your ducts. Dust particles are a mixture of organic compounds, dirt and debris. When combined with moisture they can develop mold or mildew, which are potentially harmful to your health.
● Physical allergies are common in or around the home. If you feel or notice physical reactions when indoors then it is time to clean your air ducts. Many individuals living within their own homes do not realize that there could be a buildup of contaminants inside the ducts.
● The presence of odors throughout your house is never normal and should be investigated. Odors can also develop due to bacteria and molds developing within the ducts, which can cause serious respiratory distress or illness that requires medical attention.
● There is less airflow than there used to be when you use your HVAC system. This is often a sign that your ducts and coils need to be cleaned, which includes the removal of nests and debris.
● Your HVAC equipment may seem to be working fine, but you can notice dust particles when viewing it from outside or feel them when standing near the vents inside the home. These are all signs that it is time to have your system cleaned.
In addition, if you take a portable air quality monitor from room to room within the house, it can also give you an indication of just how much particulate matter is present indoors. If the levels are high then this could be a sign that you need to have your unit and ducts cleaned.
Air duct cleaning companies in Nashville, Tennessee can be hard to find, but Mr. B’s Air Duct Cleaning has you covered! Contact us today for a free quote.